Some of you know that I am slowly adding some metalworking capability to my little home workspace (Mike’s lent me his Sherline mill, Frankie dug up an old welding outfit, my dad supplied the bench grinder, etc.). As I save up for the items and services I’ll need to pay for, I’ve started to build out the tools I can. I’m not doing anything as sweet as Frankie’s most recent, but I’m starting on a ring clamp, and I managed to finish up my annealing pan this evening.To be completely honest, I just needed to fill it, as I’d done the construction a few weeks ago. Still, I’m counting it… I “finished” it today!
The result is actually pretty good. Eventually, I’ll have to swap out the pea gravel I have in there now for pumice, but it will work for now. I’d assumed that any small stone would work to insulate the pan and to allow stable positioning… nope. Regular gravel does little to keep the pan from heating up. I figured that one out after using my little pencil torch to dry out the gravel, and then touching the sides of the pan. I won’t make that mistake again. Here are a few more shots:
Oh, and I added that clever little zoom effect to the images in the blog (highslide to those who know).